Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Inward-Spiral

I was 'fired' from a job I loved, I worked hard to get the job, When I received my job certification I was proud of the accomplishment.
When called upon to perform my duties I did them to my utmost. I held my position for over 2 years. I never asked for any pay. Though I did receive the occasional paycheck, I usually ended up giving more than the amount back to the group.

The person(s) that 'fired' me, really were not on any list that had that authority. But, even though fighting them and winning was only a phone call away, I took the under-all message and gracefully, but silently headed east. Bye!

My job was a Lay-Minister to rural Methodist churches. It was the pastor, et al, who told me with a smile that my services as a Lay-Minister would no longer be required. He didn't hire me, or assign me duties. Those two items came directly from the Bishop for the state. But.... he was only doing what a few, I guess, church members button-holed him into doing. After all, he was a new pastor for this church, who did he really know??

That evening my (much)better-half reviewed the day. She said she wasn't surprised. She said that even though she wasn't active in the church, she felt that there were members that resented me for being a Lay-Minister. "Why?" Because their presumed authority in the church was diminished by my real administrative authority. She saw it. "Even though I took no administrative position in the congregation?" So? You were the one receiving mail from the district superintendent and the Bishop's office - they weren't. "So?" "Ohhh." Right!

And as my thoughts pull me northeast-ways, I who was raised in the church for the last 57 years, am without. So to keep me busy during the morning hours of Sundays now and to come, I have started writing down my bones.


and cleaning out the dog room........

No comments:

Post a Comment